Deadline April 15th
Alabama Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Award
You’ll win cash, free earth-science resource books, automatic entry in competition at Section level!
Nominate yourself or a colleague or mentor
Outstanding Earth Science Teacher (OEST) awards (sponsored by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers, and in Alabama by the Alabama Geological Society & the Geological Survey of Alabama) are given for "exceptional contributions to the stimulation of interest in the Earth Sciences at the pre-college level." Any teacher or other K-12
educator who covers a significant amount of earth science content with his or her students is eligible.
Ten national finalists are selected, one from each NAGT regional section. Some sections also
recognize state winners (We do!). Individuals may apply themselves or nominate a colleague for the award.
The Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Awards program was adopted by NAGT in 1971. Devised to
honor pre-college teachers of earth science, the program has the following specific objectives:
• Identify excellence in teaching
• Appropriately recognize and reward excellence in teaching
• Stimulate higher levels of teaching performance
• Establish NAGT as a strong support organization for pre-college education
• Via active statewide and sectional programs, build a solid state, regional, and national liaison with
administrators of pre-college earth science education.
Sectional winner awards include:
• 10"x13" laser-engraved solid walnut plaque from NAGT
• 2 year complimentary membership in NAGT
• 3 year complimentary membership in GSA
• 3 year complimentary membership in GSA Geoscience Education Division
• $500 travel funds (winners must request this money) to a GSA meeting
• $500 classroom improvement funds (winners must request this money) from GSA
• One-year subscriptions to publications from AGI, AGU, AIPG, and NESTA
• Publications from the USGS
State-level awards are less but are also substantial. (See above)
More information is available at http://nagt.org/nagt/programs/oest.html. The nomination form is at
Deadline April 15th
Send application materials to me:
David C Kopaska-Merkel
Geological Survey of Alabama
Tuscaloosa AL 35486-6999