Friday, August 5, 2016

Time


I had read to go that your perception of time changes as you age. That when you are one year old, a year is a lifetime and seems like a long time. When you are 60, a year doesn't seem long at all. And that's obviously true for almost everyone.

But I've noticed something else. As time goes by I become less and less able to get everything done during the day. I sleep less than I used to: only about six hours in my case. The children are grown and I don't have to drive them anywhere. But where does the time go? It has been several days since I had time to read any science fiction. I am still two months behind on responding to submissions to dreams and nightmares (but two days ago I was four months behind: I am catching up fast!). There are 36 books on my to-read pile! It has only ever been as high as 40, and that was just a couple of weeks ago.

Am I really doing that many more things than I used to do? If so, what do I have to show for it? Or should I ask, why don't I have more to show for it? Or am I just slower?

No comments: