Thursday, June 8, 2017

060817d — Cancer post 1



Cancer

Earlier this year I had a routine annual blood test would suggested a possible problem with my prostate. This led to a visit to a urologist and then a biopsy last week, which confirmed that I do have prostate cancer. At least some of the samples indicated a rather aggressive form of it. Today I had a CAT scan and a bone scan and I guess I will find out in about a week what those show. At that time, we will decide what to do. Some form of treatment is indicated, because this is not one of the relatively benign varieties, and because I am not old enough to just calmly die of it.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to talk about it, like Xeni Jardin of Boing Boing did about her breast cancer, but I decided that I do. It might help me and it might help other people as well.

Trying not to get my hopes up too high, but then again, why not? That way I can be optimistic, at least for a while. And optimism feels good, which means it reduces stress, and that is good for you.

I have already made one decision though. I am going to eat out more often!

And perhaps it would be good to end all of these with a short poem. Again, why not?

today I ran over
several fire ant nests
because they annoy me
from now on
live and let live
will be my guide

No comments: