Sunday, October 19, 2014

101914

Two Views of a Window


wasp waits for out
to return with food
its feet gripping chilled glass
spider waits on yesterday's web
for sun to loosen joints
and wake its prey
pane slumps millennially
towards Earth's center of mass
the observer has no effect
but remembers summer

arthropod philosophers postulate
that the sham worlds in glass
receive faithful souls after death
souls of the impure
rot in their empty husks

--

Yesterday, somebody, either my wife or our yard man, cut down the nasty tree that was trying to grow up under/in front of the bird feeder. I can see the bird feeder a lot better, which means I can very clearly see there is no bird seed eating action going on. I did see a mockingbird keeping a close eye on Simon, our cat. I also see a wasp, which has been hanging around on the inside of my window for a couple of days, poor thing. On the outside, a garden spider is waiting for the sun. The only part of her web I can see is the zipper, and it is the most messy zipper spider web zipper that I have ever seen. It's just a blob with a couple of smaller blobs next to it. What is the world coming to, when even spiders have no pride in their work?






No comments: