Friday, December 1, 2017

120117d


Review of Pho Town

So, last week, I read on the newspaper's web site that a new Vietnamese restaurant had opened in Tuscaloosa. It is in a new upscale shopping center close to our house. Sunday we went to try it out. Couldn't find it! I swear they didn't have their sign up yet, cos I went back Thursday and you can't miss the big white sign. (Parenthetically, I remember when that place was a field of grass.) Anyway...

We checked it out tonight. The dining room is not small, and we got the only empty table. The place was mostly full of middle-aged couples and young people on dates (Caucasians). Unless I'm much mistaken, though, there were a few Vietnamese diners. It's always a good sign if an ethnic restaurant appeals to folks who grew up with the cuisine.

Tuscaloosa did once have a small restaurant owned by a Vietnamese guy (a nice little Japanese place is there now), but it's been a while. I first had Vietnamese food in Toronto, and have been missing it.

I got a medium-sized bowl of Pho with seafood. I could not finish it. I'm getting a small next time! It was very tasty, fresh, and there's nothing else like it in Tuscaloosa. Sheila had some kind of pasta with shrimp. She liked it, but couldn't finish it either. She agrees with me: we're going back. Also, we had spring rolls (fresh, not fried). Delicious! They contain basil, always a plus, and many other goodies. I had Thai milk tea. Much too sweet for me. I'll try something else next time.

The wait staff were attentive, though very busy. The restaurant would benefit from having someone to greet customers as they walk in the door. It was hard for us to spot the one table that was free. In fact, one of the waiters helped us or we wouldn't have!

The menu is pretty extensive, so I'll report again after we try some more offerings. The prices are pretty reasonable. Our bill was less than $35.

If you want to find Pho Town, it is in Midtown (on MacFarland Blvd.), on the back side of the northern block of stores (the one with Panera on the SE corner). They have a website.

No comments: