Sunday, December 9, 2018

120918b


Phantoms


A quad’s troubled by them;
From the terra incognita below my nipples,
Reliable reports come in from my stomach:
Hunger, repletion, nausea;
All else is fake news.

When I bump my knee,
Or seem to,
There is an ache,
Almost a sharp pain,
Where kneecap resides,
Doctor says this heralds nothing,
Much less the return of true sensation.

Sometimes my nether limbs
Send reports of movement;
All false,
As my eyes inform me.

Everything,
These 14 post-traumatic years:
Lies, lies, lies,
Unpleasant ones at that,
Pain or discomfort,
Never a good feeling.

But finally,
What I’ve been dreaming of
Has come to pass:
Stirrings from...down there,
The feeling a man gets,
As he begins to rise,
Faint, but exhilarating,
Unreal, but I don’t care.
Actually, I do,
This long-awaited blessing
Brings hope,
And now I wonder--
What stumbles me-ward
From that undiscovered country?

No comments: