Sunday, June 16, 2019

061619b


Toe Testing Time


Sunlight makes them nervous. I don't like it when the Sun is out, although they do grow faster. They don't set more fruit, and the fruit don't get any bigger, but we can take the heads to market sooner. They spend less time in the babbling stage and Marie, well, that part drives her crazy. My favorite part is the harvesting. Sometimes they say the strangest things. I save them in a book. I figure I'll be famous someday. Stuff like "midnight's noon/and noon midnight/bright flash of darkness comes."

There was that one winter, about five years ago now, we were scraping the bottom of the root cellar and all that was left were some of the heads that have been rejected by the conglomerate the previous fall. We'd put them in the back room already because they were making such a racket and you wouldn't believe the language they used when they were dumped into the boiling water on the stove. Almost makes me want to chuck all this and become a sausage tuner. Sausages don't talk. And I hear they can carry a tune pretty well.

No comments: