Thursday, May 9, 2024

050924



I have, I think, all but three of the books by one of my favorite science fiction writers, Roger Zelazny. I don't have Jack of Shadows. I really enjoyed the book, up until near the end, at which point the viewpoint character became so repellent that it spoiled the entire story for me. A pair of novels, Changeling and its sequel, just didn't appeal to me very much. I'm a little inconsistent here, because two or three other novels by him appealed to me no more then those did, and yet I've kept them. I am nothing if not inconsistent. I am in the process of rereading most of the rest of his books, because I enjoy a poor memory for the ends of tales. In between, I am rereading several decades worth of science fiction magazines. Most of those I've only read once, and in most cases that was a long time ago, so I really don't remember those! Except for those stories that were later reprinted in collections and anthologies that I have encountered. I just finished My Name Is Legion, a trilogy of stories that together form a novel-length work about a character who refuses to tell us his name. All three stories are very different. The viewpoint character acts as a specialized sort of generalist consultant, so the settings are different even though his character doesn't change much. The last of the three stories is a sort of uplifting tragedy involving an artificial intelligence. written long before there was anything we could even pretend was an artificial intelligence. The story in the middle of the book involves a telepath and multiple murders. The first part of the book involves mass murder and geology.

No comments: