Tuesday, September 17, 2024

091724

 

We were in an Italian restaurant (Reginelli's) yesterday and the playlist in the place was all classic rock. So naturally we started talking about music, and I mentioned that the Beatles is one of a relatively few bands that my wife recognizes quickly when she hears their music. So then I said, do you all remember where you were when you first heard the Beatles? The person sitting across from me said, sure, I saw them on The Ed Sullivan show. And I thought why didn't I see them there, and then I remembered that that was in the early or mid-60s, and we didn't have a TV until I was 12. 1969. I never saw the Ed Sullivan show and I never saw the Beatles on TV, except in their movies Help, and A Hard Day's Night. (I saw Yellow Submarine in the theater.) I don't think I know anyone else who entered the television era that late in the game. Oh, and I first heard the Beatles, if heard is the right word, in the playground in second grade, when some of the boys who had older siblings were singing "I want to hold your hand" while swinging on the swings.

No comments: