Sunday, September 29, 2024

092924b

 

More thoughts about childhood then and now. Back in the early 70s, as a high school student bummed out about the inaccessibility of women, I decided to walk home from school. Seven miles. It didn't even occur to me to let anybody know, and I walked across town and out the other side and three more miles through the country along an old two-lane US highway. I felt a lot better about the world, and I walked in the door almost 2 hours late, right before my mother called the police to tell them I was missing. They were upset that I did that without telling them. Just tell us next time. Nothing about are you crazy you could have been killed! That is not how I would have reacted if one of my daughters in the 90s or the 2000s if they had wanted to do something like that. They never did.

Postscript: I did walk home a few more times, usually stopping at my grandmother's apartment for a ham sandwich and chocolate chip cookies.

No comments: