The Pogo Fan Club, January 1991, The Fort Mudge Most 19, Steve A. Thompson editor. Even though I have been a Pogo fan since the '60s, I did not know about this fan magazine until about a week ago. It apparently is no longer published, but if anybody knows differently please let me know. <br><br>
Unlike The Okefenokee Star, this fanzine looks like a real fan magazine. Production values are not the best, but definitely good enough for us to enjoy the artwork. <br><br>
They had a contest for the best fan art picture of the swamp, and one of the two winning entries adorns the magazine. I like it. The artist is Don O'Sullivan. It is actually a wraparound cover, I'm only showing you the front side below. <br><br>
The Fort Mudge Most is full of unpublished Kelly artwork, and also artwork from the newspaper strips that did not make it into any of the books. In addition, the images are accompanied by commentary, which adds a great deal to the reader's enjoyment. We also find illustrated public service announcements, maze puzzles, and other rarities. This issue contains quite a few Sunday pages and even more daily strips done after Kelly died. The art is about as good but the humor is a little inferior, and sometimes the characters seem to deviate from canon. <br><br>
These fanzines now cost $20 or more, including shipping, but for some this will be worth it. <br><br>

No comments:
Post a Comment